Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day 84: If I Could Be

Anyone but me (I would be someone who isn't writing a blog post at 1 am while I am supposed to be staying up in order to complete some coursework), but really, it would probably have to come down to a tie between Maria from the Sound of Music, Scarlett O'Hara, Jane Eyre, and Pocahontas (Disney's rendition).

The desirable qualities:
The voice, personality, talents, faith, and situations of Maria are obviously all I could ever want--she (Julie Andrews and Maria are kinda intertwined for me) has the most beautiful voice ever, she's bold, she rocks the short hair (a trait I can only admire), she dances and plays musical instruments, straight about to be a nun because she wanted to give her life to Jesus but obviously she wasn't meant for the convent, annnnnd she ends up with her perfect man(the Captain could be anyone's perfect man, though, eh? Oy) even after she thought she lost him fo'eva.

The Southern charm, the undeniable beauty, the intense will, and the strength to survive through the worst of times define Scarlett O'Hara. However, her stubborn nature causes heartbreak for her in the end, which you can't help but feel sorry for, even if she put it completely upon herself (why didn't you just appreciate the love Rhett wanted to give you?!) A strong, southern woman is something you can't help but embrace though.

Jane Eyre is just the best character; she is so very independent, she is smart, she uses her words so perfectly and prudently, and though she is plain, her beauty shines through to the only man she will love, and she is too humble to realize he loves her (ugh it's just the best story). Honestly while reading it I kept seeing myself in Jane, and others have said so, too, but I think its mostly that I just wish I were her. The biggest contrast is my lack of ability to hold my tongue when it would be best to say nothing.

And Pocahontas just has the best, flowingest, long hair and runs so perfectly down those hills with her bare feet and tumbles through sunflowers like it's her job and has a little raccoon and hummingbird and talking tree to consult, and she looks bad ass with the upper arm tribal tat. (yeah this one is purely surface level, but whatever)


Guys, I'm so happy about Advent. Baby Jesus is coming, and I get to greet his arrival while in Rome with my favorite siblings. This time of year is just so joyful in so many ways, and though it doesn't feel the same living alone and being in Scotland and not smelling my mom's baking, there is still so much good. Ultimately, it rocks because even when the world and my surroundings leave me feeling alone or empty, I can become even more full, a fullness unreachable with the world even on the most worldly-fulfilling day, through the love of a God become man in that little manger under that bright star in that little town in a country far away all those hundreds of years ago.
Marinatha!

(Sidenote though: above, it sounds as if I'm having an awful time and am lonely and hating life here, but no, I'm not; I just mean in the grand scheme of things life can be hard and hollow compared to what Jesus has in store for us.)

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! Most of the time we don't remember though, thanks for th reminder! Also I agree on Maria!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors