Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 133: Pride and Prejudice

So in the past 2 weeks I read Peter Pan and Pride and Prejudice, and while I would like to continue on the "P" title trend, I am headed to the library today with my sights on Gone With the Wind as a first choice or, if that's not in the stacks, another Austen.

I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice, mostly for the style of writing. I can't get enough of the language from that period. And since I have never seen the movie Pride and Prejudice either, I was kept in a bit of suspense as to how things would turn out, though it was no real surprise (*spoiler alert*) that the cold indifference of Darcy would melt away and that he, the best looking, most affluent man in the story, would end with Elizabeth, the voice of the novel and the cleverest girl. It had to happen. And I'm glad it did.

"Elizabeth's spirits soon rising to playfulness again, wanted Mr Darcy to account for his having ever fallen in love with her. 'How could you begin?' said she. 'What could set you off in the first place?'
'I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I know that I had begun.'
'My beauty you had early withstood, and as for my manners--my behaviour to you was at least always bordering on uncivil. Now be sincere; did you admire me for my impertinence?'
'For the liveliness of your mind, I did.'"

Oh, if all rich, handsome men fell for smart girls because of their brains..

To finish my thoughts on the book, I will say, I wasn't so infatuated that I can understand why so many girls are so consumed by it. Jane Eyre is much better, but maybe that's because I relate with the heroine more closely. Or maybe it's just because Jane Eyre is da bessssst. I would like to read other works by Austen, because her writing is quite good and these other stories might excite me more.



PS I start classes tomorrow--Woo, Boy!


1 comment:

Contributors