Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 22: Words

It's that moment when there is so much to say, you can't say anything.

I have done so much thinking since I've been here in Scotland. Some of it has come through on this blog, and you've seen that if you've been reading, but not all of it has.
I'm glad for all this thinking; I was predicting/hoping I would do this much thinking and reflecting. Being so far away from what I know is an obvious way to push me out of my comfort zone and force me to focus on what matters, what I want to do, where and who I want to be.
Obviously, I haven't gotten everything figured out, but pieces are falling together and more than ever I'm feeling God's presence.

So I won't pour out all the thoughts boiling in my brain, threatening to bubble out from my tongue. I will leave you with some of my favorite quotes that I've written in journals and such over the past year and that I read through today. I see even more relevant (and new) meaning in them now than I probably did when I scribbled them down.

"Leaving home in a sense involves a kind of second birth in which we give birth to ourselves." -Robert Neelly Bellah

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, Discover that I had not lived." -H.D. Thoreau

"And the danger is that in this move toward new horizons and far directions, that I may lose what I have now, and not find anything except loneliness." -Sylvia Plath (but she's always a bit depressing, am I right?)

"There ain't no way you can hold onto something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it." -Because of Winn-Dixie, Kate DiCamillo

"Nothing remains as it was. If you can know this, you can begin again, with pure joy in the uprooting." -Judith Minty


and maybe my favorite quote, from my favorite book (so far), Jane Eyre, "It is in vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquility: they must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it."
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors