Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 24&25: The Deer Pants

So apparently I was making an embarrassment out of myself without even knowing it, but that's not too hard to believe. Yesterday at choir practice (still sounds weird), we were thinking about singing a song with the first line "As the deer pants for water" and I kept making a joke about my deer pants (gotta go huntin' to make some new deer pants, in my most ridiculous redneck voice (WHICH BRINGS ME TO ANOTHER POINT: I had to explain to them what I meant when I said "hick" and "redneck" and when I tried to describe them using things like "drive around with confederate flags on their trucks or NASCAR, they didn't understand either of those examples. It was a crazy moment), etc.). But it wasn't until over an hour later when Harin casually told me how pants here are underwear, and what I know as pants are called trousers. Making people feel awkward since I can remember...
Anyways, I also skipped class yesterday, and it was great. I got a lot done at home actually, organizationally and took a nap and went on a run. All good things. After choir I introduced some friends to candy corn and THEY ALL LOVED IT and my heart was glad. Then we watched a Bollywood movie at Carmina's flat; thanks for that experience, Bruno..

Today, I woke at 9 and sent my absentee ballot back to the States and then went on a really great 40 minute run wearing just a t-shirt! Look at me! I'm adapting so well! I saw some really pretty big ol' mansion-house thingies on this run. Most of them had been converted to businesses or hotels or restaurants (the types of restaurants you go to if you're rich and middle-aged and have a husband who takes you nice places---or not rich and middle-aged but just have a husband who takes you nice places). I finished my run but hadn't reached home yet, and since I am going to be sticking to a specific training schedule I didn't want to keep running extra to get home even though I felt great, so I walked in my short-sleeves all the way back, and really wasn't even cold. I stopped in to the bike shop that I pass on my way to school every morning just to have a look around, and it was quite nice. Then I stopped in to the "American Candy Store" which just opened on Union street but it was literally just a British candy store. With American cereal. The only American candy they had was stuff that I assume is world wide, the big brands that I've already seen around, and Twizzlers, maybe those aren't usually here. Alas, it would have been too good to be true.

I then ate and stretched and took a nap. Then I found my favorite area of Aberdeen (so far) on a superb walk to the bicycle cooperative thang in Old Aberdeen, through the University of Aberdeen campus. I have decided that I wish I went to Aberdeen rather than Robert Gordon. The Garthdee campus is ugly and modern with its steel and glass buildings, but I have always put too much stock on my setting's aesthetics, I suppose.
Anyways, I went away bikeless. It's a cool scheme they have going, but they didn't have any bikes that wouldn't still be crappy even after they were fully functional. To be expected, I guess. I will possibly still concede at a later date, but for now my brain is working on a plan B.

Games games games and fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors