Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 41: It's going to be a Good Week

And it has been a good week.
I am pretty much in full swing of working mode, aka, I'm still "the new girl," but I know my way around spare a few details, and I've been handed the full load of responsibility that comes with my position.
I worked breakfast for the first time on Saturday, after a closing shift on Friday; which equalled 4 hours of sleep and then being picked up at 5:20 am to start work at 6. I enjoyed the shift though, before it got busy I was standing at the back of the room, surveying the few people that had already arrived, watching them as they quietly ate their buffet breakfasts in an almost silent room. I didn't realize that I had any sentimentalities connected with hotel breakfasts, but as I stood there I was whisked back to the early mornings of soccer tournaments I traveled to with my mom. Awake and cold and miserable and surrounded by 20 other girls with sleep-crusted eyes and ponytails, at the crack of dawn, trying to eat healthy before we had to be at the field. It made me miss several things: one) playing soccer, two) my mom, and three) being on a team.
Then I was transported to another, newer affiliation, of my most recent hotel stays, over the summer with Thomas, when we cherished the few times we got to stay in a warm bed and eat complimentary, all-you-can-eat breakfasts of cereal, muffins, fruit, bagels, and juice the next morning. What a life I lived this past summer.
And what a life I'm living now.
I experienced many new things this past week. First, I found myself smiling while I was running, out of the blue, grins just appearing on my face as I do one of the few things in the past that I said I hated. Secondly, I tried the British equivalent of the Mounds bar, but I'm pretty sure it's better here, and it's called Bounty, and I never wanted to stop eating it. Thirdly, I experienced snow on the 26th of October. And it went on for hours, and it stuck. Though by the end of the next day it had mostly melted.
Anyways, I am in high spirits as I begin this new week which will usher in the month of November (and I think part of the reason for my cheer is that I have had two comments/compliments on the length of my hair in the past two days--it's almost getting there again!). November is a great month which holds the date of one of my favorite holidays, Thanksgiving, and I have already begun plans for how I will carry out the American traditions in a land far from America.

Oh yeah, and Halloween....I'm not doing anything that I know of. A bit sad, but I guess I've never really been super into it, slash people here don't seem to be as into it?
My room and the living room have officially been feng shui'ed. It feels nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors