Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hell is...

Riding your bicycle uphill, with thirty mile an hour winds, gusts up to 40, on the lowest gear you have and still barely spinning.
Or at least it could be.
Yesterday was a hellacious trial for sure. We got a late start out of Dillon thinking, what the heck, it won't matter, the wind nor the heat have been that bad. We checked out the Patagonia outlet and took our time with breakfast. Well. We were in for a big surprise as we set off and were immediately berated by headwinds that about drove us crazy. We went about 6 miles in the first hour and took an hour freak out break before deciding we had to go on. "winners never quit, and quitters never win."
We took on that pass like there was no tomorrow, and as I slowly went mad, I almost believed there would be no more tomorrow for me. I took a break at the top of the hill to regain consciousness, but as I began my descent, still only making it to my middle ring and pedaling vigorously, I was done. Luckily, Bannack state park was waiting at the bottom of the hill as an option for camping rather than going 26 more miles and another mountain pass to Jackson.
We were blessed with Bannack and our campsite right next to the most wonderful campground hosts, Paul and Jamie who graciously brought us stuffed peppers and potatoes for dinner, gave us ice cream for dessert and even cooked us breakfast the next morning. It was all delicious and too kind. We also got to check out the sweet 1860's mining town of Bannack which was in excellent preservation and had some super cool history.

Today was muuuuuch better, but we still opted for a short day, in observance of the birth of this beautiful country we live in. We went 44 miles to Wisdom, Montana and had a nice stop in Jackson to eat and dip in the hot springs.
I still really love Montana, and the scenery is beautiful, and when I'm 70 and can't live at the beach anymore because my skin is threatening to fall off due to overexposure to the sun, I shall move here and hide amongst the dense pine forests.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Montana looked like this...it's officially been bumped up to a place of honor on my list of places to go someday

    ReplyDelete

Contributors