Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Life

Yesterday, we rode a short 20 miles from Seaside to Astoria to officially bring our route to a close. We got into town, rode up to the Astoria Column, the landmark which marks the end of the ACA's TransAmerica route and which commemorates Lewis & Clark's journey,, since Astoria was where they ended also.
Then we went to the bike shop and did what we needed to do to have them pack and ship our bikes; after mulling around town for a bit we took the greyhound to Portland where we found our hostel destination full and all the other hostels full, too. First time without a bike in months and unfortunately we found ourselves making laps on foot around a city neither of us knew. It was fun/funny in its own way. It came down to having to get a hotel, unless we wanted to camp with the hobos. We had pizza delivered to our hotel room and had our celebratory pizza party a little late, at about 11:30pm.
Today we checked out some of the goods Portland has to offer, including Powell's book store, Voodoo Doughnuts, the International Rose Test Gardens and Japanese Garden, and some random cool shops. Then I casually had to say bye to my only friend of the last two and a half months on a crowded light rail car as I exited and he stayed on to go further to the airport. A speedy, one armed, side hug was the perfect way to say farewell in the most anticlimactic fashion to the most unanticlimactic journey of my life. Thomas was an awesome partner for this trip and the amount of laughter caused by his ridiculous/great sense of humor was overwhelming; thanks Bhomas. He's now gone and I have one more day in the city, to close out my adventures with a bang before I fly home.
I can't believe I don't have to ride anymore/don't have my bike with me/ just did what I did. It still hasn't sunk in, but all I know is that a lot of great things happened, within me and around me. I'm sure it will take me a while to see all the fruits from my travels, slash to witness how much it's changed me.
I love riding my bike (never doing it again)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being there for Thomas. I'd guess the words to express what you guys have meant to each other during your adventure are hard to find. There are times that words aren't needed. It's just understood. Congrads to you both.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors