Sunday, September 30, 2012

Day 12: Archangels and Africans

A lazy and relaxing morning on the Feast of the Archangels turned into quite an eventful afternoon and evening.
First, Jenkins and I went shopping for the essentials. Then I was off to confession, adoration, and Mass at St. Peter's--all of which were great. I got home and began to prepare the cake I intended to bake for the feast day! (I don't need much of an excuse to enjoy baked goods) But I ran out of time and having just poured the batter into the pan, Jenkins and I now needed to ship off to meet the Rugby girl from yesterday (Eyejay is how her name sounds, but I have no idea how to spell it). We were headed to "Nox" a bar, for the African Caribbean Society's night of Karaoke and free drinks/food. It wasn't open upon arrival, apparently the coordinator had written 8pm when she meant for it to start at 9pm ("Nigerian time"/"African time" as everyone was calling it, and of which I just learned meant that Africans are always late so when you want someone there at 9, you need to tell them an hour or two before). Anyways, we went back to the flat to put my cake in, and sat until it was done backing, then took it out to let it cool so we would have it when we got back from the bar.
It was a hilarious night of karaoke, where no one would let just the person on the mic sing, but basically instead a too-small room crammed with too many people all having a very loud sing-along. The demographics in themselves were hilarious. There were a couple awkward white guys, one other white girl and then me, the crazy whitey who was taking the karaoke stage by storm. Jenkins and I sung Ignition by R. Kelly, and then Eyejay and I sang Love Story by T. Swift in an attempt to keep the crowd from singing along, so we could have the spotlight to ourselves...It only partially worked. And then later two middle-aged whities came in and cougar-ed up the place.

We left that dark oven of a room a couple minutes before the event was going to end, and then partied in the main area of the bar, dancing to the great music+saxophonist for a while until some "VIP's" needed the couches where our coats were laying. Thinking the necessary pick up of our gear for some washed up oldies claiming to be important people and taking our seats was a good cue to leave, we were off to enjoy our cake.
So we ate chicken and cake and talked until 2, when Eyejay left to go home and I went to sleep.


She eats the chicken BONE!!! Says it's normal in Nigeria? What?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors