Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Day 2: Please Run Down the Hill Screaming

Today I awoke, only slightly chilly, on the right side of the bed. Literally. I usually sleep on the left but my bed had a lot of stuff on it, and it was easiest to push the stuff to the left when it became time for bed and I needed to spread my twin size fitted sheet out on top of a full size mattress.
I awoke and ate the free personal size box of Krave cereal that was in my welcome box from the university, and Jenkins was nowhere to be seen. Alas, I took my time, got ready, and then made my way to my campus for the first time. I rode the bus, but having really no idea about the fares I took an educated guess and threw some change into the bus' fare-taker, and the driver said nothing to me, so I was good to go. I got to the Garthdee campus and bummed around getting info and necessary knowledge for future ongoings.
Then I walked to the nearby supermarket and picked up some goods: full size sheets, towels, pillows, bathroom trashcan, and the like.
I took the bus back home and made the first homecooked meal in the apartment. It was delish. I hung around, figured out how to get wifi in my apartment, spoke with my mom, made plans to walk to the ocean before I went to the Young Adult group at St Peter's Catholic Church, cancelled my plans to walk to the ocean before the Young Adult group at St Peter's Catholic Church, took a nap instead, woke up, walked to the Young Adult group, but couldn't find the Parish House at which they said they meet, rebooked my plans to walk to the ocean, basically rock-climbed up Broad Hill and upon reaching the top, the North Sea opened up before me.
There were trails winding all around Broad Hill and signs every so often with funny statements/rules given by the Order of Me. Things like, "No Kissing on the hill" and then a few feet away "Don't Tell Anyone, but this is where my Ma and Pa first kissed" or "Just Think, a long time ago bears were here." All of them had on the bottom "By Order of Me." You will see the pictures below. I was laughing. I sat on a bench up top for a while, looking out at the sea, and watching some Scottish men playing "football" below. All I could hear from them was accent--couldn't really make out any words, just a lot of grunty, exclamatory Scottish. I liked it. I like accents. I like boys with accents. I know this one guy, back home, who has a pretty cute accent.
Once the sun set enough so that I could be certain my way home would be cradled by darkness and all the eerie that comes with it, I left my bench and descended from whence I came. Going down the dampened hill was a bit riskier than climbing it and with each step I knew I was going to fall, to slide, to end up on my face or butt somehow, and I knew the man approaching me would end up being my husband by the end of the movie, or just someone I completely embarrassed myself in front of for no reason... Do you vote option B, Thomas? Well, I didn't fall. Of course I didn't, who do you think I am? I knew I wouldn't fall, slide, or end up anywhere except for my own two feet like the graceful champion I am.
I stopped by another supermarket on the way home and picked up some hangers and dish soap/sponges. It's a tough life being so domestic.
Dinner was delicious. Only a slight variant of lunch, subtract yellow pepper, add onion, egg, and fajita seasoning. I just finished my dessert of apple, strawberry, and blueberry fruit salad.
Tomorrow I must awake earlier, get to school by 930 for enrolment and then sit through some course information sessions. I will see if it is possible for me to awake early enough to make it to 7 am mass. That could be pushing it, but anything could happen.












 Here's the link to the story behind the signs:
http://otheraberdeen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/by-order-of-me-at-broad-hill.html

oh and PS, they sell duvets for different seasons here, like "All Year" and "Winter"....like sleeping bags...this scares me for the cold that is yet to come. There was only ever one type of duvet in Virginia Beach......................

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're settling into the place nicely. Scotland, the land of mysterious signs and mysterious words (that can't be understood by English speakers). Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors