Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cali Swag

So yesterday we started in Lookout, Kentucky at the great baptist center where we hooked up with Bill from California, who rode 50 miles with us to Hindman, Kentucky, where we stayed last night at another baptist church and got showers for the second night in a row. It was really nice. Today we rode 64 miles and are posted up behind a Presbyterian church in Booneville, Kentucky. Thomas, Bill, and I stayed pretty tight together all day through the climbs, and it was quite fun. We saw our first Walmart en route today, which I'm glad took 11 days. We had a great stop on top of a mountain in Buckhorn where we got ice cream. Superman ice cream. All memories from the ice cream parlor in Roanoke we would go to when visiting my grandparents came back. Delicious. Tonight I ate a home cooked southern meal which Bill graciously paid for. Mm, Kentucky fried chicken, the real way. I got a shower for the third night in a row, tooooo, though it was cold. We shall camp and wake up early so as to beat the astounding heat, but apparently the worst of the mountains are over, so that might be good news, though I'll miss the downhill speed racing. Also, thought for the day: Bill kept complimenting me yesterday as I would finish the climbs after them, because of my high-geared road bike, so today, when going up the hills, I kept one specific compliment in my mind. "you're an animal" Thanks, Bill. Road kill count: 151 (today and yesterday were better days for the animals, at least compared to the two days prior.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors