Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The British are Coming

Again. Yesterday the Brits caught up to us again due to us not starting til 1 o'clock and them having a nice tailwind, allowing them to crank out a century. Thomas and I rode about 70 miles from Hutchinson to Larned (lar-nid) and when we got there we were happily surprised to see our friends tents already set up, but also kind of stunned because they just keep poppin up.
The slight delay was well worth it; my bike is feeling great and riding smooth and silently. The bottom bracket was replaced and I also got a new chain and sprocket in the back. They were super worn, because I push high gears, but I'm trying to work on keeping a higher cadence now, even though I don't like it.
Today we awoke and rode from Larned to Ness City. I was shooting to at least get to Dighton, 32 miles further, but the crosswind was a beast so, we called it a day at 60-some miles. We had a tailwind for 19 of the early miles though and I cranked it out in under an hour. It was greeat. But. Then, we turned. And the southerly wind was threatening to blow us off da road. In Alexander, there was a rest area, and not much else, so I sat to eat some snacks, and this turned into an hour and a half nap-on-picnic-tables break. Which was fine with me. I saw it as a moment of celebration/mourning of the beginning of the last map Thomas and I will share together(or is it? More on this later); it picks up in Alexander and goes to Pueblo, the Western Express connection.......
Then, 8 miles later we stopped again to eat real food in Bazine. My grilled chicken sandwich, sweet potato wedges, and strawberry ice cream were all delicious. The last twelve miles to Ness city were more of the same. And now we are again camping at a city park, and I finally bought more shampoo and conditioner so my hair is feeling okay again.

Windy day again tomorrow. Joy.

Roadkill count: 520 (less kills out here on the vast plains, because there are less animalssssssssss, there's barely even peopleeeee)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors