Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Show Me!

I was right, Missouri is the "Show Me state", and unless that is a reference to the truck drivers and other motorists showing me my life flash before my eyes, then I don't know what it is in reference to. But seriously, Missouri has had the craziest motorists by far. They don't give us any room. But whatever.

Other than that, I really dig Missouri. It's super pretty and the riding is supa. Today we rode from Houston to Marshfield, a 63(ish) mile day. We're camping at another city park, but thank goodness I got a shower at the park's pool, even if the flighty curtain and cold water were a little sketch.

Tomorrow will be our last full day in Missouri, and then it's on to Kansas. Crazy.
Highlights of today: the butter pecan ice cream slash lunch buffet in Hartville where I ate too much fried chicken and mashed potatoes and might have vomited it up if we had any steeper of climbs, but I kept the deliciousness down; the place we ate for dinner tonight--an Italian place in this castle looking building that we learned used to be the morgue and is haunted, and the owner is super cyclist-excited (she's from Oregon); and the time when I was flying downhill and a car passed me, and I totally could have caught up, but chose not to so I wouldn't freak em out.

Thoughts from the road (if you have answers, please comment): do caterpillars grow up knowing they will become butterflies? Which caterpillars become butterflies, and which are the unlucky moths? Do Illinoisans pronounce the "s" in the title they have chosen for themselves, or do they keep it silent as in the state name?

Roadkill count: 404

4 comments:

  1. deep thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's funny that your title is the one and only but I have no idea who you are. Good call, haha

      Delete
  2. They NEVER pronounce the "s."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Missouri for almost a year and still don't know why its called the Show Me State...nobody seemed to be able to give me an answer lol. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors